What is your Heart’s Desire?
You are a unique, one-of-a kind individual, not exactly like anyone else in the universe, and more than likely you are not quite the same as you were yesterday. When you look back on your life one day, what do you want to have accomplished and how do you want to be remembered? What memories do you want to create? Do you have a dream worth fighting for?
Most people feel they are capable of a life far more enriching then the one they are living, but they don’t necessarily know how to get it. And the truth is our success in life is in direct proportion to our clarity of purpose, and the level of passion, belief and action we put forth toward our desires.
The Valentine’s Day – Heart Desire Challenge
This Valentine’s Day, I challenge you to tap into your imagination and create a future vision of what you want in your life, and then, once you create the vision, plan out the steps necessary to make progress toward it. One step a day can move your closer. These are some ideas to get you started.
- What is your heart’s desire?
- Are you working at a job you love?
- Are you using your strengths and skills in the way you imagined?
- What do you value? And what are your values?
- Do your values direct the decisions you make professionally and personally?
- What are some goals or dreams you’ve wanted to pursue but haven’t acted on or achieved yet?
- What are 3 things you would like for your personal and/or professional life?
- What do you view as your three top strengths?
- What activity doesn’t feel like work to you? (What lights you up? What are you passionate about?)
- If money or education were not an issue what would you do for a living?
- Describe what successful career/lifestyle?
- What obstacles or challenges do you believe have kept you from making progress toward your goals/dreams?
Do you Remember Why you got into (_____________) in the first place?
- What was your Heart’s Desire then, and what is it now?
- Was it your idea, or the idea of a parent, a teacher, or a friend?
- Was there no other option at the time? Are there more possibilities now?
- Did you aspire to share your gifts with the world?
- How is this going for you?
Can you control the speed you are traveling? This is an age when many of us feel out of control. The speed at which we are doing things is faster every day. We are swept along in the rush to do more and be more without the opportunity to reflect and determine if we are still headed in the right direction or even if we like the journey. I imagine if you have read this far, there may some truth in this for you.
Can you be more intentional?My intention is to invite you to stop for a moment, take a deep breath, and look within. I invite you to remember what you are passionate about, to recall your strengths, to remember a moment where life was effortless. Recall a time when you truly felt engaged and inspired. Take a moment and feel that.
Remember the day you graduated, your very first real big job offer, your very first big success, or any other recent significant moment that brings a sense of deep satisfaction or joy. Know that you have the capacity to build more moments like this in your life and those around you. Joy and gratitude are contagious.
Alignment – What will it take for you? What will it mean for you?
If your life and work are not in alignment with your heart’s desire you are not alone. What can help you get back on track? A first step may be digging deep to truly clarify your values and to determine what it is that you actually desire – now.
Perhaps you recognize that one aspect or more in your professional or personal life are not in alignment, but you just have not found the time or energy to put effort there. Perhaps you are just hoping life turns around on it’s own. As trite as it may sound we have to water the seeds we want to grow. What’s really standing in your way?
What is your deepest fear?
Adapting the famous quote of Marianne Williamson, “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It’s not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
It’s Valentine’s Day! Give yourself permission to take a moment and listen to your heart’s desire. Are you still wishing on stars for your dreams to come true or are you making them happen as often as you can? Wherever you are, let your heart light shine!